Last Frost in Newton: May 24
First Frost in Newton: September 19
(10% chance of frost falling outside these dates)
- Sun: 6-8 hours
- Soil: Well-drained
- Start 6 weeks before last frost (~April 10)
- After final frost of the season, or start it inside?
- Start off in large bucket, sprinkle seed packet.
- Need to look up details on how to do that.
- Once sprouted and 1’’ tall, thin them out to give each 2’’ of space
- Thin by cutting, not pulling, to keep roots of neighbors intact.
- Once 3’’ tall with first set of true leaves, transplant to separate pots. 6-8’’ of space per plant.
- When plant has 3-5 sets of leaves, cut the top off just above the 2nd set of leaves from the ground.
- Every 3 weeks or so, cut off above the first or second set of leaves on each new branch.