Starter Leaves

The seedling leaves on the plants are starting to turn black around the edges. I hope it’s not fungus. Anyways, it seems that once the plant has plenty of leaves, this is normal as the starter leaves aren’t needed any more. I started to clip the worst one with scissors, but it pretty much fell off in my hand when I touched it. So I went ahead and gave all the starter leaves a tug test, and Zeus, Prince, and Kepler all lost them easily. They seem to still be useful on the others.

Rodney was healthy, so I gave him to Lani.

After the transplant they didn’t grow much for a couple days, I guess because they were spending energy growing new roots to dig in, but they started popping up over the past 24 hours. Zeus is 6” tall now, and ready for the first harvest! Kepler is almost there at 5” tall. The others look healthy and are growing, but not as fast. I’m hoping to do one big harvest this weekend, and then also water with plant food for the first time this season, though I hope the pots will be dry enough…

Speaking of watering, Cara water the (soon to be) outside plants from the bottom which seemed to be very effective. I’ve been going off the second knuckle rule (put finger in soil down to second knuckle. If it’s dry there, water it from the bottom). It’ll probably end up being about once a week, but I’ll keep checking them daily. The plant food will have to be watered from the top, of course, and will also serve to wash salts downward which was recommended earlier. I should water from the top once a month. The plant food is recommended every two weeks…

I should skip feeding Zeus since he’s in fresh soil (which comes with probably 1 month of fertilizer), but Kepler has the old soil, about 1 month old now, and the others have soil from last year. So Zeus will get some special treatment, and I can probably just water him from the bottom.

I’d like to move the little plants outside since that’s where they’re going to live. For best transition, they will need to be hardened. The idea is over 7-10, to get them ready to live outdoors so they don’t get shocked and die. Naturally, start with a few hours a day, and move up, avoiding days with rough conditions (cold, windy, high temperature difference from the previous day). Tomorrow I’ll set the plants outside before I leave for work, then Cara will bring them in. So that will be a quite a bit, but the transfer should have toughened them up a good deal already… I hope… We’ll keep an eye on them…

Edit

Yellow Seedling Leaves – Why Are My Seedlings Turning Yellow