It seemed clear that all the outdoor basil were getting root bound. When I added water to the pot it didn’t take much to fill it up, and it didn’t stay wet for long.
We pulled each one out, loosed up (and tore off) the root layers that had formed on the outside, then replanted them. Prince, Ghost Fire, and Summer Sunshine all went into a big 8” x 23” planter, so they should have plenty of space and a decent amount of sunlight. Morty went into his own 6” pot.
Big harvest today. Between Zeus, Kepler, Prince, and Ghost Fire, we got enough basil for a little over a cup of pesto. Cara noted that some of it smells of black licorice, and others of weed. Kepler and Zeus were both about 14 inches tall before the harvest, and Prince and Ghost Fire had long branches with several nodes, due to skipping a harvest.
I watered Zeus and Kepler with 24 oz each of plant food, as usually. I probably should have gone a little more to get more all the way through the pot.
The smaller basil are getting root locked. This weekend we’ll transfer Ghost Fire and Kepler into a rail hanging planter, and put Summer Sunshine and Morty in their old pots.
Overall, everyone is looking happy and healthy.
Harvested from Summer Sunshine today, and it was plenty for pizza. MMmm.
It’s been in the 90’s lately, and the plants are drying out faster. I’ve had to water the outdoor plants everyday, pretty much. Summer and Morty almost need to be watered twice a day because they’re pots are so small. I watered Zeus and Kepler from the bottom today.
Some of the lower leaves on Ghost Fire and Prince were getting strange dark spots on them so I removed them. I’m not sure what they were.